90% of science and technology research done in University should lead to a negative result - not necessarily no result, but a result that is essentially, to all intents and purposes, useless - i.e. non-exploitable
to this extent, then, universities are filters for bad ideas so that society/industry doesnt waste considerably more money pursuing bogus ends.
this does beg the question, though, how can industry decide which dead end research to fund? oh the joys of seeking funding in university:-)
of course, the arts and humanities don't have this problem at all, since they are 100% useless (in these terms:-)
music while you browse
- ► 2015 (17)
- ► 2013 (17)
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (69)
- Why don't apple wireles kb + mouse not have usb to...
- social net (and other "cloud") content ownership
- affective driving?
- anti-metcalf law - the voluntary balkanization of ...
- the bbc versus the guitar
- Not Polite Complete
- neal stephenson redux
- the role of university research (versus industry)
- progress and the natural selection between good an...
- Future of Wireless - on the edge of chaos
- ▼ October (10)
- ► 2007 (74)